Wednesday, October 7, 2009

One Layer Card - Masking

Making one layer cards can be challenging but also a lot of fun. They are great to make because they can be easily mailed!! One easy way to create interesting one layer cards is by using MASKS!
I bought these masks from Tim Holtz' collection a few weeks ago. I was so excited to see that he has come out with some smaller ones that are easier to use on cards (don't get me wrong, I've seen some great stuff done with the larger ones, smaller is just easier).
I stared out with a white card base. I placed the masks where I wanted them and then using my brayer, covered the card with purple ink. Then, I sponged on some darker purple ink in the corner with the masks. I made sure to show lighter and darker spots of the sponging giving more dimension. After the masks were removed, I added a sentiment in black and some doodling around the card. I love this way of finishing off a card (as you can see in a few samples HERE and HERE).
Supplies: Stamps - Spiral Bouquet (Papertrey Ink); Ink - Lavendar Lace, Elegant Eggplant (Stampin' Up!); Paper - Whisper White (Stampin' Up!); Other - masks (Ranger), black marker (Zig), sponge.
Have you ever made a one layer card?? Link it up, I'd love to see it!!
Donelda

6 comments:

marciad said...

Lovely card. Wish I had some masks to try it. I've been debating getting them. Your use of the btayer instead of misting, may just send me shoppin.

Juanita said...

This is a stupendous card. I have done something similar with emboss resist, but this seems to offer a little more freedom. Have you tried the masks with glimmer mists? My scrapbooking friend uses them a lot and they turn out really well.

Susan Raihala said...

So, so pretty! Especially your doodling border and shaded sponging!

Jessica G. said...

Wow -- the white flower really pops against the purple! Such a great idea to use a mask; I always think first about layering, but you are right -- that gets heavy!!

Donna said...

I love this card, Donelda! I bought some Frisket film awhile back and have yet to use it...maybe I'll play with masking today. Thanks for the inspiration!

Joy Jenkins said...

I think this is so elegant. I've never tried masking to this extent - okay, now I gotta try.