Tuesday, January 8, 2008

January 8th - Design Basics Class #1

Hello and welcome to my Design Basics Class #1. I am hoping to learn about designing effective compositions and would love you to join me. I will be posting what I've learned on TUESDAY nights. I also hopeing to post different examples of each lesson throughout the week or I might continue a lesson into a second or third week if I feel I still need to learn or practice that specific concept. The book I will be using is an excellent one by Jim Krause called Design Basics Index. I am hoping to use his concepts to apply to my card making. I haven't read the whole book yet but what I've read is awesome and I am surely hoping that Jim can teach me a thing or two!! I would really love you to join me in my own learning journey! I thought this might be a fun way to use my blog other than simply posting my creations!! Here is a general introduction: Jim says there are 3 C's of Design: Composition, Component, and Concept and a design works when these three 3's are each present and working. Well, Jim is making a lot of sense to me so far!!! Here is lesson #1: Jim says that Composition is the way in which the components of a design are visually combined and arranged. Composition takes into account placement, grouping, alignment, visual flow and the divisions of space within a layout. Wow, that is A LOT! My cards start as a blank space and when I add something to that space, I need to consider "its relationship to other elements in the design" Again, Jim is making a lot of sense to me at this point!! Placement of Elements The first thing I will be working on is effective placement and divisions of space on my cards. I interpret Jim's discussion in his book to say that the card will convey the "feel" you are looking for best when the placement and division of the space on your card is effective! That makes sense to me! In his book, he is actually using advertising as his teaching tool....but I am trying to apply this to what it would mean in card making... mmmmm. Principle of Unequal Spacing - point placement Variety in spacing adds interest and encourages the eye to look around the card. I know I've experienced that when I have looked at many of the awesome cards in the gallery at SCS. Jim explains that it is important to place an element at a point where horizontal and vertical spacing is different from each --> varied spacing. And the Principle of Unequal spacing can be applied to more than one element at a time. When you are making a card, this suggests that it is important to consider how the main items on the card relate to each other and to the edges of the card. Jim says that varied measurements around points-of-interest tend to heighten the visual interest and energy of the piece and convey a sense of creativity. Okay, my turn to apply this in the wrong and right way so I can see the difference on a card. <<----------------- Here is an example of a card where the spacing of each point (item of interest) is equal and the elements are all centered.... ------------>>>> Here is the same card, except I've tried to alter the spacing. Note how the band on this card sits at a place that adds visual interest instead of being placed dead-center like the previous card. As well, the added elements (the twine {specifically the knot} and circle sentiment) are off set on this card at unequal distances whereas the previous card had these added elements dead-center again. So, what do you think?? I really like the second card better than the first card. I'm not so sure I've gotten the whole idea as I believe the twine placement and the sentiment placement are equal distances from the edges of the card. However, I wonder if because I've place the knot near the upper part of the band and the sentiment nearer the bottom of the band if that makes it more "unequal"??!! Heheheeh, this is going to be FUN!! Off to try this Principal of Unequal Spacing on a new card attempt :-) Thanks for joining me!!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to be checking in with you each Tuesday to see how your design "classes" go. I've ordered two of his books from the library as I need help with my design skills as well.

I prefer card #2 myself. Looks incredible! Keep up the good work!

Ruth M said...

Thanks muchly for class #1 - very clear and made total sense. I love that you're giving us a 'wrong' and a 'right' card example as that makes it easy to see the design principles at work. Great stuff Donelda, huge thanks! : )

Anonymous said...

I think you did great job applying the concepts. Trying to figure out exactly what Jim's wording means is a lot like math. bleh. Glad you're here to help!

Unknown said...

I THINK IF YOU STICK TO THE BASIC RULES ITS A GREAT IDEA,BUT I ALSO THINK PERCEPTION IS AN INDIVIDUAL THING AS WELL BECAUSE ALTHOUGH I LOVED BOTH THE CARDS MY PERSONAL FAVE IS THE FIRST ONE..BUT THEN MAYBE IM ABNORMAL!...LOL..CANT WAIT TO LEARN SOME MORE TIPS!THANX.

Deb said...

Donelda, this is fantastic, so fascinating! I will definitely be checking into the lesson each week. The second card definitely works best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this! Love your explanation and agree that the second card is more appealing. I read your lesson and went straight to my craft room to apply it to some cards. Thanks and I'll be checking in regularly!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
I agree that card #2 does look better. I am so excited to learn some about design. Thanks again!

Kelly L said...

This is cool. I love the pics of your cards showing us the difference. It is very similar to Kurtis' balance idea. Your second card really seems to flow better. It is about balance across the card, I believe, or so I have learned from Kurtis aka Krabearcub. :) Kel

Jana O'Brien said...

Thanks for class # 1. I'll try to put this into use this week, too. I agree that card # 2 looks better. :)

Michelle said...

You're going to be having a really good time, aren't you? I do think you made good use of the concept. The twine and circle might be equal distances in the second card on one edge, but their shape makes them unequal. Perfect.

Kerry said...

Wow! This is great. I struggle knowing what works or why one card I make appeals to me and the next one doesn't. I'm looking forward to future classes.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting lesson. I like the second card. I finished a card today that has different size layers that may or may not break this theory. Your post has me rethinking the layout.

Lisa C. said...

wonderful, please consider adding an e-mail feed reader, that allows us to subscribe to your blog and get e-mail updates when you post. I know lots of folks us feed burner or feed blitz. Thanks so much

Anonymous said...

my eye found #2 more visually appealng. although card #1 is nice looking, #2 really brought it up a notch. A little thing like twine made a difference too! I'll be here every week - you are so smart!

Natasha said...

What a cool thing you're doing here! I'll be sure to tune in often!

Ann Marie said...

This is a great idea, thanks!

Lisa C., if you use Internet Explorer, try this.

Look up near the top righthand of your internet browser, the orange square--that is the subscription button. Click on it, subscribe to the feed, and then you can click on the star in the top lefthand of your browser window, then click on Feeds, and you will have a list of subscribed feeds. They will be "bold" when they have new content. I'm probably subscribed to 100 blogs this way! Love it! :-)

Alley said...

I love this post! I'll be checking back. Sbs4 sister

Chris (catt871) said...

Thanks, that was interesting! I do remember hearing something about 3's in design composition.....now it makes sense! I personally like card #2 as well!! It is more visually appealing!! THANKS!!! :)
Chris

Chris Smith said...

Great concepts! I'm looking forward to learning more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this great info! I can't wait to see what is in store for the weeks ahead!

t said...

You rock. Visual folks will appreciate your examples and I am inspired! Thanks so much...will be back!

Sharon (notimetostamp) said...

Another interesting read!!!

mnhyrkas said...

I just found your blog from seeing a post of yours at SCS, so I figured I should start at the beginning of your Design Basics book review. Thanks for breaking this down into the cliff notes version and giving some great examples. Good work!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow aren't you just the kindest soul to be doing this. I tried reading books on design but couldn't translate from book to paper. Your example of a "right" and a "wrong" got it into my thick brain where it now will be useful. I REALLY needed just exactly what you're doing here, and to think I just stumbled onto this today, 4 months after you started it. Thank you sooooo much!

Bahb