Tuesday, February 12, 2008

February 12 - Design Basics Lesson #6

Today is Tuesday and we know what that means!!!!

If you haven't been following along, I've listed the previous lessons on the right side of my blog for you to easily find and read! Enjoy.

This is the 6th lesson in my own exploration of Design Basics. I am learning lots of great stuff from a book called Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. Welcome to my learning.

Lesson #6 - Harmony by VISUAL ECHO.

This lesson is a continuation of understanding how Harmony making agreement between elements of a design. Today the focus is on VISUAL ECHO.

When using visual echo, Jim says it "...establishes and eye-pleasing sense of unity between elements of a layout". In this card example, I have taken the design of the backgroud paper and borrowed both the colors (red and brown) as well as an actual repetition of the desgn which you can see on the diamond on the front of the card.

I made the diamond element on this card using Papertrey Ink stamps. You can see them under the card in the picture. This is one of the reasons why I LOVE Papertrey Ink stamps. Nicole adds a ton of little stamps which you can use to make some great designs. It took a bit of work to distress the element to make it actually match the background paper but I really like the end result!

Supplies: Cardstock-Rose Red, Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip (all SU); Designer Paper-Stella Ruby (Basic Grey) Ink-Regal Rose, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip, Creamy Caramel, River Rock (all SU); Stamps-Borders & Corners {oval} and {square}, Text Box, and Faux Ribbon (all Papertrey Ink), Everyday Flexible Phrases (SU); Accessories-corner rounder, dauber.

Can't wait to see your cards with Visual Echo in them!! Thanks for visiting!!

Donelda

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful card. I'm going to have to go through my stamps to see if it's possible for me to "echo" designs. Really gives you something to think about when purchasing the stamps.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

THANKS FOR TODAYS LESSON & GORGEOUS CARD!

AmethystCat said...

I love, love, love the visual echo. Your card design is simple and yet packs such a punch. Your house mouse card on the previous post is adorable too! :) Thanks for the lesson!

Suzanne @ Day to Day said...

Gorgeous card! I need to see about getting this book. Lord knows I could use lots of help in the design dept.

laurie serino said...

Lovely card, I keep seeing things like this done, I really need to try it !! Thanks for the encouragement !

Deb said...

This is amazing, at first glance it looks a perfect match, beautifully done! I am so enjoying these lessons, can't believe we are on #6 already!

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Love it, that printed paper is gorgeous.