Tuesday, February 5, 2008

February 5 - Design Basics Lesson #5

Sorry I'm a bit late posting this!!
This is the 5th lesson in my own exploration of Design Basics. I am basing my learning on a book by Jim Krause called Basic Design Index.
Lesson #5 - Harmony by REPETITION Today's lesson from my friend Jim Krause is about Harmony! This section of the book is pretty basic and straight forward!
Jim says that harmony is "..agreement between elements" in your design. He goes on to explain that this agreement is "...achieved through repetation of elements and through echoes of theme, color and style"
Today I am featuring cards that express Harmony through REPETITION. As you can see on my first card, I have repeated the flowers. You can see the small flowers are repeated on the strip of vanilla paper. And then, the same flower, except larger, is repeated at a focal point on the right.

On my second card, I am using REPETITION again to get harmony by using circles. On this card, the centers of the flowers are plaid circles. Then, the circles are repeated as a background design - same color as the flower circles and same size! It seems to pull the card togehter.

This is a pretty basic lesson and I know that I see this element in many many cards out there!! Even without reading this chapter, I think I had this idea of repetition figured out!! Do you agree?? I know I've seen repetition in YOUR cards :-)
Next lesson will be a continuation of the element of Harmony. Can't wait to see you then!!
Supplies: Cardstock-Groovy Guava, Very Vanilla, Buckaroo Blue, Purely Pomegranate, Whisper White (all SU), Ink-Groovy Guava, Close to Cocoa, Purely Pomegranate, Buckaroo Blue, Summer Sun, Wild Wasabi (all SU), Stamps-Beautiful Bloosoms, Faux Ribbon (both Papertrey Ink), Accessories-Fiskars cutter and template (to make large scallop), corner rounder (unknown), Chocolate Chip taffata ribbon (SU), small scallop scissors (Provo Craft), double stitched ribbon (SU).
Thanks for visiting.
Donelda

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the lessons. I will try and be aware of this one in the next few cards that are part way done on my table.

Kelly L said...

Love your lessons, Donelda.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Donelda! Repetition is one of those things I know but keep forgetting about when I sit down and stamp...can always use a reminder of it, and your cards demonstrating it are fab!

Unknown said...

THANKS FOR ANOTHER GREAT LESSON DONELDA,I LOOK FORWARD TO EACH WEEK WHEN ONE IS POSTED!

Tracey said...

Another great lesson. Love the cards aswell:)

Anonymous said...

That a great lesson, and awesome cards too.

Kristine said...

Excellent! :) I Really Love that orange one. Beautiful flowers and the ribbon is so luxurious!! Gotta get me some of that! :)