Tuesday, February 26, 2008

February 26 - Design Basics Lesson #8

Hello and welcome. This is my 8th lesson in my own exploration of design basics. I am using a book called Design Basics Index by Jim Krause. You can explore the earlier lessons by clicking on the links on the right side of my blog if you are interested!! Enjoy.
Today's lesson is on Hierarchy. Defined as "a system of graded ranks".
Jim expalins that when looking at something, we will naturally be drawn to the item at the top of this "visual hierarchy". Sometimes it is the largest item, a well placed item, or because of the color of the item, or even because it is the most conceptually intriguing element. Then, our eye should follow a "visual pathway" of supporting elements.
I like this concept!! I'm thinking back to some of my favorite cards from people like Nichole Heady, Lisa Johnson, Sharon Johnson, and Debbie Olson and I can clearly find the eye-catching element or "the element that is the highest on the visual hierarchy". Cool!!
Now my turn!! Here are some cards that I made in the past where you can (or at least I can) clearly see my eye doing that...finding the element that is at the "top of the visual hierarchy" and then moving down the elements:
See this page from the valentine I sent my parents ---->
When I look at this, I totally look at the photo first (a good sign since it is a mini scrapbook) and then I find I move to the cluster of the flowers and heart in the bottom right, then up to the word angel and finally to the vertical red ribbon.... wow!! When I made this bage back in January, I didn't realize this but I keep opening and closing this image and every time I open it, my eyes do the same thing!! Did that happen to you when you looked at it???
<--------------
And here is another card where I can really see the visual heirarchy when I look at it. I totally look at the wire swirly charm. Then I look at the tiny sentiment and then the bold black bow. I keep thinking that I would move to the bow second becasue it is so much more intense...but I don't seem to. What does your eye do with this card???
Last card ------->
When I look at this card, I instantly go to the middle of the leaves, where there is more white inside the rectangle. Then I move out to that dark brown strip and finally on to the sentiment. Maybe not the best route (shouldn't the sentiment be more important than the strip???) But that is what my eye tends to do. Does that happen to you too??
Supplies:
Angel Valentine: Paper-Blush (Basic Grey), Ribbon (Making Memories- red, Michaels dollar bin - ivory), Flowers (Primas), Buttons (sm. heart - Teresa's Hand Dyed Buttons, brown - grandma Mary's stash), letters (Blush by Basic Grey), photo corners (dollar store), dauber (Stampin' Up!), Close to Cocoa Ink (SU!) sponged around edge. Note-the red outlined heart is cut from cardboard and covered with basic grey paper.
Wire Pendent Charm Card: Paper-Tempting Turquoise, Orchid Opulence, Basic Black (all Stampin' UP), Ink-Basic Black (SU!), Versamark (Tsukineko), Stamps-Deligt in Life, Fancy Flexible Phrases (SU!), Accessories-oval chipboard(Fancy Pants), Black organdy ribbon (Michaels), Hobby knife, wire (Michaels). Note - this pendent was made based on a website that made wire pendents and the wire pendent I made by hand. I can't find the link but if I do find it, I'll edit it in here.
Masking Card: Cardstock-Whisper White (SU!), Ink-Creamy Caramel, Close to Cocoa, Chocolate Chip (SU!), Stamps-Beautiful Blooms, Paper Tray (Papertrey Ink), Dauber (SU!), Post It notes (3M). Note - this card is all masked -- it is a one layer card !!
Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you think about the lesson!
Donelda

7 comments:

Unknown said...

AWESOME LESSON THIS WEEK DONELDA.THANX!LOVE YOUR CARDS THEY ARE STUNNING!

Kelly L said...

Cool lesson, Wiggy! The only difference for me was the last image. I move to the sentiment before the vertical stripe, I think because the leaf kind of points me there *shrug* not sure, but you all know I am a little "different" anyway. *wink*

Thanks for the lesson. This was definitely intriguing, and I love the mini scrapbook page of your son.

Anonymous said...

As always, cool lesson, Donelda! Thanks for sharing your insights and examples--they are lovely!

Suzanne @ Day to Day said...

Looks like you've been a busy bee. Everything looks so great. I need to find that book and see if it helps me any.

Kimberly Crawford said...

LOVE that Jim Krause book. I have been working my way through that one too--what a great way to truly internalize what he is teaching-by teaching others!
Thanks for sharing the lesson!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Wow - both cards are just fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Donelda,
I've been following your lessons and love them. It is really cool that my eyes followed the elements on your cards in the exact same order that yours did. Thanks for all the info.