Thursday, February 10, 2011

Buttons, Buttons ... Home-made Thomas Kinkade Button


So today over at Papertrey Ink (Nichole Heady's blog - see the link at bottom right of my blog) they are showing off their great new idea ....Buttons!!  Are you kidding me????  Brilliance!!!

To enter to win, Nichole wanted us to create a project with buttons.  Well, this is my card.  There is a lot of "old items" used up on this card.  Let's see....

I guess the first thing is the button.  I had a Thomas Kinkade calendar that was beautiful.  Once it was finished, I was looking at it before ...gasp ... throwing it away.  I noticed on the back of the cover there were SMALL scale photos of each page ... perfect to add to cards or something ... so of course I kept it!!  Then I saw some awesome buttons on Jenni Bowlin's site that were made from "pictures" and realized that my small scale Thomas Kinkade pictures would be perfect for this.  So I punched out a good piece of one image and then added 2 small holes in the middle and finished it off with some hemp.   Here is a close up ... see those cute little swans swimming in the lake??!!

On this card there are some other "interesting" itmes.  See the pale colored circles ... well they are the color of linen a "newish" color of Papertrey Ink.  Well, I don't actually own any of that color but I did snag some of the packaging from my last PTI order.  And then there is the ribbon.  That I cut off a sweater this morning, LOL!!  You know, those ribbons they sew into sweathers so you can hang them.  Well, I don't hang sweaters so I just cut the ribbon out.  It was a nice ivory color but that didn't go with my creation so I simply used one of my Copic markers to make it match my project!!  Yeah!! 

Staying true to my New Year's resolution ... use what I have, use up my scraps and pieces of projects I've created.  Maybe tomorrow I'll take a picture of what I have left to use up!!  LOL!!  You will laugh .. trust me :-)

Okay, now I have to get my son up, showered and off to school ...
Donelda

6 comments:

Linda Palmer said...

Very clever and great ideas about saving the calendar. Love the card.

Lindsey said...

Okay, I see brilliance! And thanks for explaining to me why I've saved calendars, I knew there was a reason! :P I like the minimalism of the card to allow the button to really star.

Patrice said...

Oh, neat!

Unknown said...

Recycling is a good thing and you made it look awesome. Love it!!

Juanita said...

Wonderful job. I wonder, do you ever toss out garbage or recycling at your house? You seem to find ways to use everything on a card!
Great creation, thanks for sharing with us.

Angela said...

Great man card; love all the circles!