Saturday, December 3, 2011

Colour Q Challenge #113 and Make It Monday #43 - Ribbon Pleating

The Colour Q Challenge colours this week are amazing!  I really like Sahara Sand and I'm always trying to find great colours to go with them ... this is it!! 


I decided to combine the colours with this week's Make It Monday challenge #43 from Papertrey Ink - Ribbon Pleating.  I don't think I've ever tried ribbon pleating so I decided to "take it easy" and just do a few pleats like on Dawn's 2nd card in the video. 

Supplies used include Background Basics: Retro and Birthday Basics (both Papertrey Ink), Spring Rain grosgrain ribbon (Papertrey Ink), Sahara Sand, Night of Navy, Whisper White, and other blue cardstock (Stampin' Up!). 

And see, I've used another one of my "home-made" half & half die cuts.  I have had a lot of people ask how I do this.  Nothing magical I assure you.  I simply took some light cardboard, traced some edges of other dies I had with nice curvy edges, made straight edges and cut them out.   Now, if I want a "half & half die" that I don't own (yet - getting them for my birthday) I just trace the outline onto cardstock or patterned paper and cut it out by hand!  More effort but cheaper!!  Here is a photo of the 3 I made ...


This colour combo is going to inspire lots of increadible projects.  I'm off to check it out!!
Donelda

9 comments:

Linda Palmer said...

I love these colors together...great layout and card. Love it.

Kara said...

beautiful! what a great card for both challenges! thanks for joining us at the CQC!!

Karen B. said...

Some great tips here on your post, but the card steals the show. The subtle ribbon pleating is absolutely gorgeous as is your color palette and card.

Unknown said...

beautiful card Donelda, and the subtle ribbon pleating was a great choice. you are so smart to make your own dies. i bought these and hardly ever use them *hangs crafty head in shame* cause i really don't know how to incorporate them ;)

LeAnne said...

Very cool card---retro, clean and fun! Thanks for playing with the CQC this week!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the super-mini homemade die cut tutorial! I am totally taken with this card... the colours are gorgeous and the layout is CAS yet inspired -- well done!

Sylvia said...

Fun card, Donelda! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ this week.

Tracey McNeely said...

Lovely card, you did a nice job on your pleating.

kasia c. said...

Gorgeous! I love all of the different shapes. :)
Thanks for playing along with us at ColourQ!