Thursday, November 6, 2008

Faux Watercolor Branches - Take 1

I love this faux watercolor technique! To create this card I stamped the branch using Chocolate Chip ink onto watercolor paper. Next, I used the leaf stamp and inked up the leaves with various colors of ink including Summer Sun, Really Rust, and Garden Green. Then, I misted the stamp before stamping onto the watercolor paper. This makes the colors run together and make the leaves look as though you have painted them onto the canvas.
Here is a close up so you can see the leaves a little better.
To add some drama, I did some piercing, distressed the edge of the focal image, and splattered a bit of ink onto the image as well. To do this, I stamped some of the color I want to splatter onto the top of a clam shell stamp box and spray some water with it to make a wet color (note I do this because I don't own any reinkers yet). I picked up as much of the wet color as I could with a stiff paint brush (an old toothbrush works too) and then using my finger, I pulled at the bristles so that the wet color made the splattering onto the image. I love this effect!! (click on the image so you can really see the splatters and watercolor effect!).
Finally, I finished the focal piece off by adding a sentiment on the corner. I actually stamped it over some of the leaves which I really like. It is a sentiment from the Out On a Limb stamp set from Papertrey Ink and reads, "God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone, but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars" Martin Luther. It is a lovely sentiment and very fitting for the image.
The rest of the card is obviously easy to put together!! I kept it clean as I wanted all the focus to be on the watercolored branches!!
Supplies: Stamps-Out On A Limb (Papertrey Ink); Paper-Chocolate Chip, More Mustard (Stampin' Up!), watercolor paper (unknown); Ink-Chocolate Chip, Garden Green, Summer Sun, Really Rust (Stampin' Up!); Other-ribbon (unknown).
Thanks for dropping in! If you try this technique I'd love to see the results of your project! Leave me a link!!
Donelda

5 comments:

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Donelda, this is a pretty card, I really like the colours you have used here.

:) Marcia
SBS4

Susan Raihala said...

I don't have words for how much I love this card...and it takes a lot to render me speechless. I wish you would slow down with the inspiration. I can't keep up with all the ideas I get from you, LOL!

Jessica G. said...

Perfect autumn card, Donelda! This is one of my favorite PTI sets; I just have to remember to use it more often!

IamDerby said...

Fabulous card! I just love that set.

Chris (catt871) said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! Soooo pretty!!!!! Did you mist the choc. chip ink too, or just the leaves?