Monday, August 25, 2008

August Blog Hop - Jewel Cases

That's right. It's another blog hop night. These Blog Hops are presented by Nichole Heady and the team at Papertrey Ink each month to encourage creativity and sharing among readers.
This month's challenge was to use CD cases or jewel cases. Well, I've gotta tell you that when I read the challenge I was sure that I'd never come up with an idea! I mean, other than putting CDs or clear stamps in them....what else could you use them for??!! But then I remembered Nicholes idea HERE and figured maybe I too could figure out some interesting use.
Well, I was headed down to my 9 year old son to ask him what he thought I could do (he is very creative!!) when I saw the Crystal Light packages on our mini fridge. They looked the right size and were nice and flat. Voila, an idea was born.
I placed 6 tubes of Crystal Light in the CD case. Then I wrapped some pink cardstock around, scoring the places it would need to fold over the edges. I made sure the tops of the Crystal Light packages were peeking out the top and these colors are what I based my color combination on. The 12" sheet of paper doesn't quite go all the way around so I added just a small piece to the back to ensure it closed. I stamped the open dot from Polka Dot Basics on this using Versamark. Next, I moved onto the belly band. Using the circle stamp from the Limetless Labels, I stamped with Orange, Turquoise, and Pink. Then I trimmed off the edges and matted it with some bright yellow. This got scored similarly to the pink cardstock and adheared. Then, I stamped a circle of dots and added the good luck sentiment. Again, I matted this with the same bright yellow. Since the Crystal Light packages were printed using a dark blue ink, I did the same with my sentiment.
I used the same theme and created a simple water bottle vest to match. While certainly not my typical color combination, I love how vibrant it looks with lots of wow power. I have a friend who is running, wants to do a marathon some day. I decided this would make a great gift to encourage her on her goal. I think you could also give it to someone who is taking a long trip or maybe even someone starting a diet.
Supplies: Paper-Pink Passion, Summer Sun, Whisper White (Stampin' Up); Stamps-Limetless Labels, Borders & Corners {circles), Polka Dot Basics (Papertrey Ink); Ink-Pink Passion, Tempting Turquoise, Only Orange, Night Of Navy, Versamark (Stampin' Up); Other- 1 1/4" circle punch, Pampered Chef scraper (for scoring of course!), corner rounder.
Well, I'm off to see what everyone else came up with!! Do you have an intersting idea?? If so, please share :-)
Thanks for dropping in.
Donelda

28 comments:

Traveling Mama said...

Oh, totally love this idea! And I love your bright colors too!

Jak Heath said...

this is wonderful, love it.

Molly B said...

Great idea. How cool for someone headed off to college. -Molly B

Lori said...

What a fun gift idea! I love the bright colors you used.

Chris said...

great idea!!! love the colors!!

Scrapping Julie said...

this is fantastic idea. i love crystal light! super cute and quick gift.

Kimberly Crawford said...

VERY clever! LOVE the bright colors!!! :)

Frogwoman said...

I love the colors that you used. This is a great idea!

One Creative Life said...

Donelda this is so fun! And the colors are so happy! This could pursuade even me to drink more waterb lol!TFS-Erica

Anonymous said...

Great idea...and it's such a refreshing design! (ouch...bad pun.)

Unknown said...

I love these colors. They are so bright and happy. What a great gift!

Kacey Elliott said...

Too cool! What a great idea!

K said...

Love the idea and love Crystal Light! That'd be such a great way to travel with them. It's bright too and so very pretty.

Marge said...

Very vibrant & creative!

Unknown said...

WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA YOU HAVE COME UP WITH IT LOOKS FABULOUS DONELDA.

Regan said...

great idea- so bright and cheery too!

Terri said...

Cool idea. I like the colors too.

Bridget said...

I really like this idea..the colors are super and love the band you created by using the label stamp...Great job!!
Bridget

Unknown said...

great idea!!!! and the colors are wonderful!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Oh how fabulous! LOVE it!

Deanna said...

Ok this is flippin (u heard me, flippin) brilliant! I am totally doing this for the ladies at work!

Anonymous said...

I love this! Great idea.

Unknown said...

Yummy!! Yummy!! this looks great!!

Chris (catt871) said...

What a great idea!! LOVE the colours! This would be good for your son's teacher on the first day of school too!!! ;-)
Chris

Lisa H. said...

great bright color choice! this rocks, way to think outside the box (or inside the box in your case,lol!). love it!

Anonymous said...

This rocks! I think I may do this for the band table bake sale at our school open house. Even though it's not a baked item, it's something cute and fun and different!

Kevin Renz said...

Very cute idea. What a great little gift.

Julie-Ann Wells (Jewels) said...

That is SO cool. I would totally love a gift like that...In fact my mom is in the hospital right now and something like that would be a super gift idea for someone in hospital or something....TFS!!!