Friday, August 29, 2008

Sunday Leftovers!

If you read my blog often, you will know that I love the style of Kristina Werner from KWernerDesignBlog. Well, recently, Kristina has gotten a new roommate named Jen. Jen is also a card maker and the two of them have started Sunday Leftovers!! What they do is take 3 pieces of "scrap" from their garbage can and give it to the other to make something out of it!!
I LOVE that idea!! What fun!! and a great way to really streatch your creativity. Anyone want to play???
So reading their latest adventure made me want to clean out my "stuff" bin -- the place I put half finished pieces, bits of background, etc. While doing that, I saw a whole bunch of treasures that I knew I had to use. So here are 2 of my finished pieces.
This first card is made by sponging Buckaroo Blue inside an oval mask. Then, I stamped the flower image using the same color, making sure to stamp off a few times to get a variance of color. (While most of you will know this, if there is someone new out there "stamping off" is where you ink your image, stamp it once, twice, and even three times to get different amounts of ink on the image. It is a great way to get lots of dimension on a card...and so easy!!). Next, I took off the oval mask and stamped the entire flower image using The Essential Glue Pad and sprinkled some ultra fine black glitter on it. Finished off the card with a sentiment. It is totally inspired by a crafter named Lisa Carroll who made a similar card (but I don't think she has a blog ... and I can't remember where her card was posted...sorry!!)
For this second card, I had that center piece completed. It was made for a Try a New Technique challenge over at SCS a long time ago (I never seem to get my cards finished and uploaded LOL). The main image was made by stamping with versamark ink and embossing with silver embossing powder. Then, using Future floor wax, I painted on the green Pearl Ex powder. I used more Pearl Ex on a piece of white cardstock to make a matching mat. Last night, I took a piece of black cardstock and inked up just individual pieces from the image and stamped all over the cardstock and embossed it with the silver powder. I mounted all of this onto a 3 x 3" card base made out of cardstock vellum! I really like that and might have to try some more cards with that vellum.
So, there you have it. Two new cards made from old pieces. I have a TON more pieces to use so I might try to make a few more tomorrow and upload.
If you would be interested in a little fun, we could play the "I'll mail you 3 bits of my scrap if you mail me 3 bits of your scrap and we make cards" game. Then we could post our final card creations on our blog. It could be a lot of fun. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for dropping in to visit! Enjoy your weekend!!
Donelda

8 comments:

Susan Raihala said...

What a great idea! And your cards are both so lovely, esp the oval masking. I'm gonna case that one for sure! Thanks for sharing this great idea for recycling.

Anonymous said...

They are both so lovely. The first card is a wonderful use of stamping off.

Juanita said...

I might want to play along. I love the little creations you have here. They hardly look like leftovers!

Kimberly Crawford said...

Gee, can I use your "garbage" all the time? HOLY COW! Beautiful cards came from it!!!! :)

Chris (catt871) said...

Love this card Donelda!! I WOULD love to play the game with you, I will get 3 scraps in the mail to you ASAP!!!! And, thanks for the photo tips on my blog AND THANKS SOOO MUCH for the beautiful birthday card! It will be on my blog soon!!!

Juanita said...

Hey Donalda, my email is
juazur@sasktel.net
Look forward to hearing from you.

Anonymous said...

Very striking cards, Donelda! I really like the contrast the black glitter adds to an already great one-layer card. The floor wax technique has me intrigued -- another technique to add to my 'To Do' list!

AmethystCat said...

wow - beautiful - love the oval mask!