Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Tin - Gift Holder

Here is the Christmas Tin I made to store my husband's Christmas present in. I am just so excited for him to open it. It is a membership to a nearby golf club. It was so funny because at his staff Christmas Party one of his co-workers was bragging that he had bought the #2 membership at that club. All the boys said, "I wonder who got #1". Well, my hubby has #1 because I was "on the ball" this year and bought it really early. Anyway, I didn't realize how "important" getting the first membership was....now I can't wait for him to open it and see!! Hehehehe!! I can't even stop smiling!! I won't be able to post this until after Christmas because I don't want him to read this (he is very supportive and often checks out my blog ~~ hi honey~~). To make the tin, I first painted the top with a vanilla acrylic paint. Then, I created the bow and snowflake. That snowflake used to be blue (you can see one on THIS card), but I didn't want to do a blue theme, I wanted a shabby look to my Christmas tin with reds and browns. So, I decided to sand off the blue. I wasn't sure if it would work ... but it turned out perfectly!! And you know what one must do to metal...use Alcohol Inks on it, of course (t!m would be proud!!). I used Latte on it, but just a bit so that some of the metal still peeked through!! Then I added that brad in the middle. I saw one like it on THIS project by Suzy and knew I had to replicate it (there are actually 2 similar brads on her page, while I like both, I like the second one best...keep going down the page to the 'gift box gift card holder' section ... and enjoy everything while you are scrolling)!! I used a thin line stamp making it curve a bit (love clear stamps for this reason). Then I used my marker to add some thinner lines. I used a Stampin' Up! build a brad to finish off the creation!! I also added some of SUs new Alpine Originals ribbon ... LOVE IT!! The colors are fab. I cut the read square of cardstock, rounded the corners, and added the swirls using Very Vanilla craft ink. Then, finished it off with some rub on letters for my greeting!! After I had it all put together, I wish I'd done a little sponging around the edge of the red cardstock to pull the shabby look together! Oh well, too late now :-) Supplies: Stamps- Build Your Own Florish (gel-a-tins), Wedding Day (Papertrey Ink); Paper - red (Bazzill), Select White (Papertrey Ink); Ink-Ruby Red, Very Vanilla craft (Stampin' Up!); Other - metal snowflake (Micheals 1.50 bin last Christmas), sand paper, Latte Alcohol Ink (Ranger), Build a Brad (Stampin' Up!), Ruby Red marker (Stampin' Up!), Ribbon Originals Alpine (Stampin' Up!), corner rounder, Purkey letter rub-ons (American Crafts), vanilla acrylic paint, sponge brush, tin (Michaels). Thanks for dropping in for a visit! Donelda

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Just gorgeous!

Chris (catt871) said...

It is gorgeous!! I bet he was so THRILLED to get the first membership!!!!!

Juanita said...

You are a good wife!

Diana said...

Great project!! tell us his reaction when he knew about the #1 membership!! You are a GOOD GIRL!!

Love,
Diana

Jessica G. said...

Gorgeous tin and amazing gift -- wish I could have thought of something so great for DH this year! He ended up with Guitar Hero; although fun for him (and the audience), it's not quite so meaningful!