Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pop Can Leaf - Made with Love

Well, I was browsing around looking at some different challenges and realized that I could combine Kelly's challenge over at KL Stampin' N Scrappin where she wanted us to "Go Green" - use something you might have thrown away. I had an instant idea which I knew would work perfectly for the Saturday Spotlight challenge which was to "Mess Around" by distressing. I started out by pulling out my Ranger Distress Inks. Oh how I love them so!! But I find that I really need time to use them as I get so carried away. Creating one background leads to another and so on until I've created a dozen or so. (you'll be seeing all the others in the weeks to come LOL!!). Once I got the main background completed, then it was off to get green. I grabbed a pop can that was destined to be .... recycled... we don't just throw out our pop cans but I figure it still counts, right??!! I cleaned it out and then cut it until I had a flat silver surfact. Then I ran it through an embossing folder and punched out this devine little leaf! Love it!! I cut my circles, distressed everything a bit, sewed around the largest circle, distressed the main card base and then pulled the whole thing together! I certainly could have used my alcohol inks on these babies too...but I wanted this one to remain silver for today! Here is a close-up of the leaf. You'd never know that was a popcan!! Look at all that yummy metal in our homes just waiting to be used!! And you know that I was able to emboss and punch out a bunch of different shapes so you will also see those in the future!! Supplies: Fruitful, Background Basics: Text Style, Fancy Flourishes (all Papertrey Ink), Ink - Walnut Stain, Antique Linen, Peeled Paint, Broken China (all Ranger), Black; Paper - Kraft, White, green scrap (unknown); Other - pop can, Coluzzle, Fancy Corners embossing folder (Provo Craft), Leaves die (Provocraft), Cuttlebug (Provocraft), sewing machine, white thread, dimensional, sponges. Now I must go and see what everyone else did for both challenges!! MMmmmmm, what other 'throw aways' will everyone use, and will anyone else combine these challenges.... Have a great evening!! Donelda

5 comments:

Darlene said...

WOW ... I didn't know you could do that with a pop can! AWESOME!!! LOVE the whole card ... great job! Thanks for inspiration!! Thanks for joining us at Saturday Spotlight. Hope to see you again next challenge. And, if you are interested, I have blog candy up for grabs on MY BLOG. Feel free to pop over and check it out!!

Dawn B. said...

This is really neat.. I love the way you used the pop can.. Way to recycle.. Thanks for joining us at Saturday Spotlight this week.

Kelly L said...

Awesome job combining those challenges, Donelda! Thanks for joining us at KL SNS, and I totally love maple leaves, then thrown in some embossing and you created it with a pop can too! VERY COOL INDEED! :) Hugs, Kel

Anonymous said...

WOW!! This is so so beautiful!!! LOVE your green idea and the circles make for a great focal point for your leaf!! Thanks so much for joining with us at Saturday Spotlight this week!! Love seeing your work!! HUGS

Davi said...

Great card..Ilove the background you created with the alcohols. Great leaf. I love using those pop cans to emboss! :)