Thursday, July 17, 2008

New Fun Toy - Mica!

When I was first started out in this crazy hobby called paper crafting, I would purchase those Creative Keepsakes books that tought you the basics of scrapbooking and techniques. I loved them!! I still browse throught them once in a while!

Anyway, I had remembered seeing a cool project done using something called Mica. When I was at the stamp show in Airdrie a few months ago, I saw a package of the stuff so I bought it! Since then, another stamping friend (Hi Robin!!) has also become interested in this product. So, what is it?? It's actually a rock! But this rock is cool...it is in many many layers that you can pull apart to the point of being transparent. And it is totally heat resistant so you can emboss til the cows come home..if you want to. My Mica is from a company called US Art Quest and it is the regular tile size but you can get it in many different shapes and sizes, all the way down to "dust" !! Go have a peek!

For my card, I wanted to try stamping between 2 thin layers of the mica. So I started by seperating one piece of mica til I got the 2 thinnest pieces I could get. Then, on one I stamped my wheat image using StazOn Black. It is like stamping on a transparency so you need to be careful that it doesn't slip. When it was dry, I used a small bit of Tombow Mono Multi glue behind the black image and along the very edges to glue the two sheets together. I wanted to add some color so I used my alcohol inks in butterscotch and a little caramel and put some color on the back of the image.

The rest of the card is pretty straight forward. I am proud to say that the layout is a Donelda original. I don't often come up with original layouts but I had thought of this and sketched it into my creative journal a while ago so I thought I'd actually use it!

You may wonder where all the texture came from on the Pumpkin Pie and Summer Sun pieces. Well, a long time ago, I made some textured paper by misting it with water, crumpling it, and then ironing it flat. I made A LOT of it a while ago and I'm still slowly using it up. If you were to look, you would noticed it in a number of my projects over the years in my SCS gallery. It is especially great for making leaves and flowers but also for great background paper - you can see some in this project, this project and this project. You will note that on these projects there are some red, purple, and yellow texturized paper. I think the colors you see on my current card came from a different scrapbook page where I made leaves for a fall family photo shoot!

Anyway, that's my first project using Mica! If any of you have used mica and have some great ideas to share, I'd love to hear about them!

Supplies: Ink-Basic Black; Paper-Summer Sun, Whisper White, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black (all SU!); Stamps - Wheat (Cornage Heritage Farms), Simple Little Things (Papertrey Ink); Other - Mica (US Art Quest), Alcohol Inks (Ranger), Stamp a ma jig (EK Success); Coluzzle.

Wow, was I ever long winded tonight! I try to keep my blathering to a minimum....but I guess it got the best of me this time.

Thanks for visiting. Donelda

6 comments:

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Wow, this looks awesome. Love what you have done with this. Isn't a great thing to find out a new thingy to do in papercrafting!? Love it.

Unknown said...

HOW COOL IS THAT TECHNIQUE DONELDA! TFS, GREAT CARD.

Kelly L said...

Wow, Donelda. That is really cool. I remember being mesmerized with the shiny, thin pieces of mica in science class in high school. I wouldn't have thought to use it on a card. GORGEOUS!`

Anonymous said...

Great effect, Donelda! I agree with Kelly -- you always use things on cards I'd never imagine, but they turn out awesome!

AmethystCat said...

donelda - this is so neat! I love knowing more about this technique. There's a lot of mica in my state and we used to take class trips to one spot and pick up a bunch - hmmm - wonder where it's at.... :) and, love your design and your ironed paper. neat stuff! TFS!

Chris (catt871) said...

That is really neat!!! I love your original layout too...very clever!