Wednesday, June 17, 2009

smARTworks Tea Party - Sketch

For this Tea Party, it was Dina's turn to decide what the challenge would be. She picked this pretty interesting image as a sketch challenge. She found it on one of those freebie calendars. She's not quite sure why it was on the beautiful scenic calendar but figured it would be a neat sketch for a card. I can't agree more. I actually made 2 cards for this challenge. I wasn't particularly happy with my first attemps (It is always frustrating when what you see in your mind doesn't transpire into the paper at your fingertips) so I just made a second. I'll post both if for no other reason than it took me forever to get the first one made!! I'll start with my second attempt since I think it is a much nicer card. I started out with this wonderful pot of tulips. I think of all the smARTwork images I have, this might just be one of my very favorites!! I colored them in with Copic markers (RV11 Pink, YG03 Yellow Green, and YG95 Pale Olive). I don't have a good Copic brown so I used my Creamy Caramel Stampin' Up! marker to color the pot. Then, I used my Cool Grey 20% Prismacolor marker to add a shadow below the pot. With all that finished, I just had to add a sentiment and finish off the card with some designer paper, a few buttons, and some green hemp cord. Dina was right, a great layout!! My next card was a great idea in my head, but like I said, didn't turn out quite like I was hoping. Maybe I'll give it another shot!! So, this card was inspired by that solid red circle on the sketch. I thought it would be cool if it were a tab card where you pulled a flower or something up to reveal the inside tab where you would write your greeting or message. Then I saw this great growing heart set and thought that would be cute!! So, I started by making the outside pocket, cutting the half circle using my coluzzle. Then, I carefully positioned the heart flower so that only the flower itself would be sticking up. It is, esentially, what you pull to get to the rest of the card. The rest is pretty straight forward. Supplies: A friendly Hello: Stamps: Spring #1, WD-60 (smARTworks); ink - Brilliance Graphite Black (Tsukineko); Paper - Whisper White (Stampin' Up!), 3 sheets of designer paper from Me and My Big Ideas pad sold at Michaels'; Other - White buttons (Hero Arts), Copic Markers, Stampin' uP marker, Prismacolor marker, hemp cord (Fashion Naturals), 1 1/4" and 1/4" circle punches, coluzzle, corner rounder. Heart Flower: Stamps: Plant Love, WD 183 - Great B-day (smARTworks), ink- Chocolate Chip (Stampin' Up!), Pure Poppy (Papertrey Ink); Paper - red, blue (paper stash), Kraft (Stampin' Up!); Ohter - coluzzle, copic markers, brown marker, white gel pen (Signo). Now off to see what all the other smARTwork Cookies have created. I can't wait to see: Dina, Susan, Donna, Giovana, Trish Did you make a card too?? If you did, just make sure you leave one of us a comment and I'll edit a link to your card on my blog!!! Thanks for joining our tea party! Donelda

8 comments:

Juanita said...

I like both cards, but the second posted (or first attempt) is my favorite. It is more literal to the sketch and I LOVE that you made it a tab card. It is like a neat little surprise. And that sketch really lent itself to a surprise!

Donna said...

I love them both, Donelda! What an awesome idea to make this into a pocket card!

Trish D said...

They're both nice! I like the buttons over the punched circles (big & little!), and I LOVE that pull tab idea!!

Susan T. said...

I really like both cards, and while the fist is really 'pretty', the second is a very clever interpretation of the sketch.

Chris (catt871) said...

That is a really cool sketch!!!! Your cards are gorgeous!!!! Love them both!!!! (and I had my blog projects made weeks ago......lol...havent' seen my craft room in over a week!!!!) LOL

Giovana said...

Super cool cards!! Both are great.

Michelle Adams said...

I love both of your creations! I especially love your embellishment on the first card! Both are great cards!!!

Jessica G. said...

Sweet cards, Donelda! I especially like your coloring on the mini pot of tulips; I see you are mastering the Copics as well as you have the Prisma pencils!!